2009-12-27

When is a Holiday Ever a Vacation?

I know, I know.  A Holiday is no guarantee that you get to relax and kick up your feet.  It is simply a time when you're not expected to go to work -- unless you're on-call, that is.  This season was no exception.  November and December are pretty much non-stop for our family.  Not only do we have three major holidays within 45 days of each other, but we also have no less than six birthdays.  Our children aren't really school age yet, but Connor did have a holiday concert as well.  I can only imagine what our calendar is going to look like in a few years.  Add on top of that my wife's fan-girl trips to other states to see a certain group of British musicians, and life's been pretty full-up lately.

I guess I shouldn't gripe much.  I knew what was going to happen over these two months. We've been pretty fortunate lately.  I've found a job that not only do I like, but pays well, includes a team of exceptional talent, and challenges me day in and day out.  I managed to leave behind a position that wasn't really going anywhere for a product that was seen as the black sheep.  I hated leaving my friends behind to deal with it, but I liked my sanity more.

I've accomplished quite a bit in this last year with respect to running, which I'll cover in another post.  There are friends out there who don't care much for the details, and I get pretty geeky when it comes to things I like.  The short of it is that I had a great year, finished a bunch of fun races, made some new friends, and over-trained!  I'm recovering and expect to enjoy some new races next year!  I may even enter a duathlon or triathlon!  Hopefully Grandma's will be on the list!  We shall see!

As for things I didn't accomplish this year?  I didn't get my SCJP, nor did I hold a conversation in Chinese.  Not bad, really.  I did get a new job, learn some new stuff on my guitar (very beginner-level stuff), and of course ran my ass off.

I hope your year was a fruitful one for you, and if not, I hope this next one will be!

Cheers,

Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment